LURK provides a few community services composed of mailing lists, chat and access to the Fediverse. In addition to offering these platforms, we try to document how they are set up on a wiki.
Over at we.lurk.org we host several mailing lists using
hyperkitty. These are available both via your mail-client as well as your web browser.
On LURK we host a server for federated instant messaging and chat. It is based on XMPP and uses Prosody as a server which is configured to support modern E2E encryption and mobile use.
We maintain the Run Your Own wiki, where we try to document how we run LURK and some of our machines, so that we can inspire others to do it as well, and avoid the situation where LURK becomes itself a silo.
The wiki is also used by our friends at the homebrewserver.club for dumping ideas, useful links, HOWTOs, and configs for DIY and DIWO self-hosted services.
If you would like to have a mailing listed hosted by LURK, or have an account on our Mastodon instance, please drop us an email and tell us a bit about you and your project(s). Joining LURK means you are in accordance with our CoC, TOS, and Privacy Statement.
We currently use three machines:
- agnesbaxter is a VPS provided by our friends at servus.at
- vrijdagmiddagborrel is a VPS provided by eclips.is/Greenhost
- skattkista is our backup machine which is a re-purposed net-top running in a university somewhere
LURK is used by several communities coming from a variety of cultural, ethnic and professional backgrounds. We strive for LURK to be welcoming to people of these various backgrounds and provide a non-toxic and harassment-free environment. To that extent we’re in the process of writing a Code of Conduct, Terms of Services and Privacy Statement, and have moderators on different platforms.
For now, by using LURK services you agree to the following:
- Be respectful towards others as much as possible.
- Absolutely no harassment, stalking or disclosure of others’ personal details (doxing). Users which violate this rule will be unconditionally banned.
- Hate speech, such as, but not limited to: white supremacy, ethnostate advocacy, discussion of national socialism / nazism will not be tolerated. Users which violate this rule will be unconditionally banned.
- Mass-advertising content is prohibited. However we encourage you to share calls for projects/papers, new project announcements of yours, upcoming events and tasteful reminders to your followers of things like Patreon or websites where they can purchase/support your work.
- Media containing sexualized depictions of children (including lolicon) are not allowed. Users with violate this rule will be banned.
- If you have trouble with a local or remote user, on any of LURK services, violating these rules, contact the relevant admin and moderators (see below).
- THESE HOSTED SERVICES ARE PROVIDED “AS IS”, WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE ADMINS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM, OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE HOSTED SERVICES OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN THE HOSTED SERVICES.
If you run into an issue contact our admins:
Pls send halp
Big tech and an abusive misunderstanding of free and open source software practices have led us to believe that software production, server maintenance and on-line services should be free as in gratis. However there is no such things as a free lunch and software does not exist in a vacuum.
If we want sustainable alternatives and a diverse cultural sector, these alternatives and the humans behind them, need to be supported. If LURK is useful to you, and if you can afford it, please help us by donating.